Journey styling with a deal with sport-touring dropped at the middleweight class—that’s the aim of the brand new 2022 Triumph Tiger Sport 660. With the identical engine because the Trident 660, the Tiger Sport 660 has longer suspension, wider bars, a bigger tank, and an higher fairing to take the sting off of long-distance journey. Oh, and the Tiger Sport 660 makes a high-quality commuter throughout the week, so what now we have is a brilliant sensible all ’rounder. Let’s see how this new Tiger cub purrs.
- Road tire dimensions sign Triumph’s intentions with the Tiger Sport 660. The 17-inch wheels back and front imply this Tiger is unlikely to stray far off an off-the-cuff filth highway. It could possibly get its paws dusty, however you received’t be driving over something tough with out a bigger entrance hoop.
- Longish suspension journey offers the 2022 Triumph Tiger Sport 660 a cushion from the battered city roads, with out excluding a big phase of riders. Nonetheless, as a result of the Sport 660 isn’t going to be flying over obstacles off-road, it doesn’t have ‘true’ ADV journey. That affords a little bit of reduction in the case of seat peak; at 32.8 inches, it’s the identical elevation because the Honda CB500X. Practically six inches of wheel journey, back and front, offers loads of room for the suspension to absorb the bumps and lumps of worn-out metropolis streets and freeway growth joints.
- The non-adjustable-damping Showa suspension is impressively credible in a number of environments. Triumph skillfully tuned the 41mm inverted fork and linkage-assisted shock to carry out nicely within the canyons, round city, and droning down the freeway. The one adjustment you can also make is shock spring-preload to accommodate baggage and/or a passenger. Though I’m an outlier at 115 kilos, I solely felt limitations on the bumpiest corners once I received bounced round a bit.
- With a flat torque curve, the Tiger Sport 660 has loads of pull nearly in all places you want it. Off idle, the engine can pull 2nd or third gear from a cease with out wincing; I discovered this out a few occasions after neglecting to shift all the best way down. Passing at freeway speeds doesn’t require downshifting the six-speed transmission. The Tiger Sport 660 additionally has a slip-and assist-clutch which retains the clutch pull mild and helps forestall rear-wheel hop must you downshift too aggressively.
- The triple delivers 80 horsepower at 10,250 rpm—and it’s clean from backside to high. The inline-3 is a pleasure to experience with no hitches anyplace within the powerband. It’s straightforward to get going quicker than posted limits enable when acceleration is provided with so little resistance. The free-revving motor feels prefer it displaces greater than 659cc, and is simply plain enjoyable to experience.
- On lengthy freeway drones, my throttle hand received a bit tingly. The triple generally is a bit buzzy when cruising at round 80 mph or so for a few hours, and there’s no cruise management—an odd oversight on a bike aimed on the sport-touring crowd.
- Maintaining the electronics to the fundamentals, the Tiger Sport 660 has two experience modes and switchable traction management to cowl important driving security. You don’t want an elaborate suite of electronics to have a good time on two wheels, although we do respect the choice to change from the on a regular basis Highway mode to the ability and torque-reduced Rain mode when circumstances get slippery. Equally, having the ability to flip off traction management must you enterprise down a (well-groomed) filth highway is appreciated.
- There’s plenty of data on the brilliant dual-screen TFT sprint, and it’s customizable. The half-moon-shaped high display screen content material is pretty mounted, primarily delivering velocity, rev counts, and kit place. The decrease sq. display screen runs you thru “trays” data—because the menu describes it—starting from coolant temperature to gasoline consumption knowledge. It takes a couple of minutes to know the method, although when you do, it’s intuitive. The decrease display screen handles the 2 experience modes, traction management, display screen brightness, shift mild, and different settings. There’s one unusual twist—if you wish to see what time it’s, you go to the gear-position tray.
- There’s loads of cornering clearance for sporty canyon excursions. The footpegs sit excessive sufficient for enthusiastic cornering, even in tight circumstances. The Tiger Sport 660 feels fairly comfy because it willingly leans into turns.
- The high-mileage, wet-weather-friendly Michelin Highway 5 sport-touring tires grip the highway convincingly and encourage confidence in varied circumstances. Whereas Southern California didn’t present us with any moist climate whereas testing, we did cowl adventure-worthy disintegrating pavement, in addition to freshly paved canyon asphalt. The Highway 5s felt safe on each surfaces, by no means inflicting me to roll again the throttle resulting from insecure suggestions.
- The Tiger Sport 660’s entrance 310mm discs help you experience full out, even with modest two-piston Nissin calipers—at the very least one-up. Preliminary engagement on the five-position adjustable lever is delicate, transitioning into sturdy linear energy. The deceleration is completely matched to the Sport 660’s capabilities.
- Though the rear brake has good really feel as soon as engaged, the pedal is tucked in and slippery. As a lot as I just like the entrance brake package deal on the Tiger Sport 660, I’m puzzled by the stubby brake pedal with a slippery end. As one who makes use of the rear brake usually, I used to be upset with the Tiger’s brake pedal. ABS comes customary and is non-intrusive, requiring a agency push to set off it.
- The impartial dealing with is clean and provoking. With a curb weight of 454 kilos and a considerably greater heart of gravity because of the longish journey, I used to be shocked to search out the Tiger Sport 660 encouragingly nimble. It’s not sport-bike nimble, however it’s keen to alter path with out plenty of muscle ought to you’ll want to right your line in a flip. In a straight-line velocity check, the Tiger fortunately romped into triple digits gracefully, its 55.8-inch wheelbase contributing to a steady, planted really feel.
- The extensive seat is roomy and cozy, and the seat/tank interface is completely designed for an excellent grip by your knees. The seat strikes the best steadiness between agency and plush, and there’s loads of room to shift round. After a number of hundred-mile continuous rides in a day starting from tight mountain roads to open valley highways, I had no numb spots on my posterior. There’s no want for a good knee grip on the tank with the chassis’ upright ergonomics. Nonetheless, with the throttle twisted for high-speed driving, I respect the Tiger’s well-proportioned mid-section.
- The six-position windscreen allows a number of protection choices. You possibly can simply swap from full-coverage, the place you’re trying via the windshield when working high velocity on the freeway, to the bottom place, beneath the road of sight. Theoretically, this adjustment takes one hand, and could be adjusted whereas driving. Realistically, it’s higher carried out at a cease because it takes some muscle to perform.
- The 4.5-gallon gasoline tank qualifies the middleweight Tiger Sport 660 for mid-length adventures. Triumph claims roughly 44 mpg, which provides the bike practically a 200-mile vary. Whereas not as far-roaming as a real ADV bike—the Tiger Sport 660 can nonetheless take you on epic adventures so long as gasoline stops are scouted.
- Effectively-designed built-in baggage mounts imply the Tiger Sport 660 nonetheless appears modern with out its optionally available panniers. Regularly touring bikes appear like one thing is lacking when their aspect circumstances aren’t put in—not an issue for the Sport 660. The rear appears neat and tidy, with or with out baggage. Plus, the optionally available aspect circumstances are exceptionally straightforward to put in and take away. For individuals who will tour two-up on the Tiger, there’s a voluminous high field able to storing two helmets, although most riders carrying a passenger will seemingly eye the Tiger Sport 850 or bounce as much as the Tiger 1200 GT line. A pleasant contact is Triumph’s low costs for the baggage—the arduous panniers are $585 for the pair, and the highest field runs $325.
- The 2022 Triumph Tiger Sport 660 is an ADV-styled sport-touring bike that’s immensely succesful, and sized for a variety of riders. It has loads of energy and dealing with for weekend backroad romps, whereas additionally being predictable and straightforward to handle. Using the superbly built-in baggage choices, the Tiger Sport 660 opens up the touring window and makes it a wonderful commuting companion for the workweek. Versatile and a bit customizable, the sub-$10k worth—even with the optionally available panniers—makes the 2022 Triumph Tiger Sport 660 inexpensive, in addition to affable.
Images by Don Williams
2022 Triumph Tiger Sport 660 Specs
- Kind: Inline-3
- Displacement: 659cc
- Bore x stroke: 74.0 x 51.1mm
- Most energy: 80 horsepower @ 10,250 rpm
- Most torque: 47 ft-lbs @ 6250 rpm
- Compression ratio: 11.95:1
- Valvetrain: DOHC; 4 vpc
- Transmission: 6-speed
- Clutch: Moist-multiple w/ help and slipper features
- Last drive: X-ring chain
- Body: Tubular metal perimeter w/ metal swingarm
- Entrance suspension; journey: Non-adjustable Showa SFF inverted 41mm fork; 5.9 inches
- Rear suspension: Linkage-assisted, cantilevered spring-preload adjustable Showa shock; 5.9 inches
- Wheels: Solid aluminum
- Entrance wheel: 17 x 3.5
- Rear wheel: 17 x 5.5
- Tires: Michelin Highway 5
- Entrance tire: 120/70 x 17
- Rear tire: 180/55 x 17
- Entrance brakes: 310mm discs w/ Nissin 2-piston calipers
- Rear brake: 255mm disc w/ Nissin single-piston caliper
- ABS: Customary
DIMENSIONS and CAPACITIES
- Wheelbase: 55.8 inches
- Rake: 23.1 levels
- Path: 3.8 inches
- Seat peak: 32.9 inches
- Gas capability: 4.5 gallons
- Estimated gasoline consumption: 44 mpg
- Curb weight: 454 kilos
- Lucerne Blue/Sapphire Black
- Korosi Pink/Graphite
- Graphite/Sapphire Black
2022 Triumph Tiger Sport 660 Worth: $9295 MSRP
2022 Triumph Tiger Sport 660 Evaluate Picture Gallery